Sunday 6 March 2011

Independence Day and Worship

Yesterday, Liz (the sister of a friend I met in Murphreesboro) was kind enough to meet with me and take me shopping to the Accra Mall.  We didn’t spend much time there, but it looked as though there were a few options for shopping – I will have to go back when I have time to explore on my own.  We went to Shoprite – similar to a small Wallmart I think.  Finally, I was able to buy a few staples and some meat and wine!  I haven’t had any meat since I arrived.  The chicken I cooked last night tasted so good!!!
Today is Independence Day in Ghana; why is it that I keep ending up in countries that celebrate their independence from the British!!!! 
As with the USA it means a big holiday celebration and a long weekend – we are not working on Monday.  In talking with several people here most of the celebrations are focused in the city center at ‘Independence Square’ so aptly named.  I have chosen to stay away as I am not sure that I would be that comfortable trying to find my way to and from Ester’s.   Another very popular activity for Independence Day is going to the beach which apparently will be packed today; maybe I will try and go tomorrow just to check out the beaches – we’ll see.
This morning I went to Church with Liz.  It was certainly an ‘experience’, that I am not sure if I will repeat or not.  The Church was called ‘Word of Fire’ which turned out to be very appropriate.  The service was close to five hours long starting at 7.00 am.  It is difficult to describe, but to try to paint a picture; imagine an unfinished building, the roof was on and the walls were up but not much else was complete; I assume it is being worked on when funds are available.  It was three storeys high and filled with white plastic chairs and possibly a dozen fans in the center area.  I was the only white person in the center front (3rd row back – Liz insisted in sitting near the front!) surrounded by about 3,000 Ghanaians (at a rough guess) who were singing, dancing and worshipping for almost three hours before the Pastor gave his sermon.  Of course I have no rhythm so was just doing the best I could to join in – the ‘Zambian’ MBC group can attest to my lack of rhythm……… The service ended at almost Noon!
Let me leave you with this vision of Word of Fire – thousands of Ghanaians, dancing and singing for all they were worth waving white handkerchiefs and one white women right in the center front with no rhythm trying not to look completely and utterly out of place and not succeeding.  Praise God that I love Him so much that it didn’t matter, I was there for Him and no-one else!
 It was certainly a lively worship experience to put it mildly.  
The weather here is hot and sunny, but there is a nice breeze; I think I am heading out for a little sun time J

No comments:

Post a Comment