Sunday 27 March 2011

Not many changes....

Another week has passed quickly by in Accra and so many things haven’t changed at all:  My air shipment is still at Kotaka Airport waiting for customs clearance – it has been there almost three weeks now…. My new office furniture still has to be replaced – that has been about two weeks.  I am still at Esther’s hotel, enjoying breakfast on the patio with the peacocks taking an eager interest on any breadcrumbs that might come their way!
What has changed:  My house lease is now signed and I am due to move in next weekend.  My container of household belongings and car missed the boat out of the USA.  Apparently the ship’s load was too heavy so some containers were held at port – mine being one of them.  It is now due to arrive at the end of April.  These two pieces of news mean that I will be ‘camping-out’ in the new house with my air shipment; assuming that is finally released this week!  I did bring a blow-up mattress, sheets, towels, a fold-up chair and a few other essentials in my air shipment, but with the weight limit of only 200 lbs, it is going to be very sparse and challenging for a month.
The weather here continues to be beautiful as I think it will be pretty much year round.  In the low 90 degrees during the day and possibly down to low 70’s at night.
With the news of my delayed shipment and a four day weekend in late April, I have decided to take a trip to Rome for the Easter weekend.  There is a direct flight from Accra into Rome arriving on Friday morning and leaving late afternoon on Monday to come home.   I think it will be a perfect break for me while waiting for my furniture, etc. to arrive.  I am really looking forward to enjoying some Chianti, excellent Italian food and fine cheeses!
More news to come as it happens.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Charlotte, missing you here. Hope all is well so far away.

    Sorry to hear about the hold up on your personal items. I would send you some things but it looks like customs would hold them up too.

    I did meet Johnathan and we have talked a few times on the street. Looks like you have a great tenant over there.

    Be careful over there! Looking foreward to seeing you soon. Trip

    ReplyDelete