Tuesday 8 March 2011

Languages and Hot Flashes???


Dear Friends,

This is just a quick update to hopefully give you a smile for the day! 

We have three wonderful drivers at work, one of whom has been a regular at collecting me in the morning and taking me ‘home’ to the hotel each night.  His name is Solomon; who like all of them is a wonderful gentleman who never fails to have a smile on his face.

BUT, the not so great thing is that he is desperately (and I say desperate as I think I will quickly drive him to that point) trying to teach me the basics of Twi J  So each morning he starts the day by saying good morning - Mah CHAY How are you? At which point I am supposed to reply - I’m fine ‘Woh HOH toe say?’ And you? ‘Meh HOY-yay.  Nah-uhn SWAY?’  So far I have managed Mmmmmmm something and smiled saying I haven’t got it down yet!!!!  He has so much patience……

Then in the evening I am diligently trying to learn my French from Rosetta Stone… languages!!!

The other not so bright thing I have done, is move to a tropical climate – where air conditioning is not always at its best, particularly due to the many power outages, just around the time I think I might start having hot flashes!!!  It is either the dreaded ‘change’ or I just haven’t got used to the heat yet….. pray for the second to be the case J

Life is certainly not dull….. our work in Burkina Faso will be starting very shortly, which will most likely entail a trip to Ouagadougou – saying trying that when you are also supposed to be thinking in English, French and now Twi.   I am told it is pronounced more along the lines of ‘wagadogu’ – we’ll what strange looks I get when I say that!

My devotion this morning ended with this:  “When God calls you toward something bigger than you could plan for yourself, know that he will lavishly provide for your needs. God doesn’t call the equipped, he equips the called!”    I hope He equips lots of people I meet with English!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment