Wednesday 2 March 2011

What a roller-coaster

I am just halfway through my first full week of living in Accra, Ghana and already it has been a complete roller-coaster of a ride.  Since starting this blog at the weekend so much, and yet so little, has happened.  On Sunday, I started the day with a nice breakfast sitting outside on the hotel’s front porch enjoying the sunshine and the peace and quiet that I hadn’t been able to enjoy since arriving – it was wonderful!

I ventured out on a longer walk later in the day, going down the hill to the main road leading to where I hope to be living, I think – more on that later!  It was fairly quiet and I enjoyed the chance to get out and explore my surroundings a little.   It is a complete mix of a few embassies, some residential houses, offices, a half complete shopping ‘center’ Roman Ridge Shopping Arcade which actually doesn’t have a great deal of offer except a coffee shop, which I haven’t tested yet.  There is also a 24/7 health center which is one that is recommended by the office here.  On the opposite side of the spectrum the ‘other side’ of the main road is made up of small mainly wooden, and in some cases containers that are the local shops selling everything from bread, fabrics, car wash, eating places, etc.

The road comes to a crossroads, if I turn right I go back up the hill towards Ester’s; past more residential homes, offices and a children’s nursery, to the left is the railway crossing – I am told that Ghana only has about two trains that actually run so is not used – it is a single track that has become a byway for people to pass along.  Straight ahead and about 100 yards on the left is what I think will be my house.  The good news is that since I first visited in January, they have put tarmac/gravel on the road so it isn’t just dirt anymore.  Looking at the house to the right is an empty lot which I am sure will be built on at some point, to the right is a residential home and on the opposite side of the road the small wood buildings continue.  They seem to be mainly homes, as there are women and children outside and a few goats.  My only question now is whether or not I should be worried that there is a small ‘bar’ across the road from the house I may move into???  Well, I will definitely be getting some advice about that from the country office team.

I really will try to determine how to post some pictures on this blog site soon!    Unfortunately Sunday evening through yesterday left me completely depleted of all energy and feeling very strongly that I wanted to be back home in Wilmington.  I received word that a dear friend of mine had lost her battle with cancer on Sunday morning and it just broke my heart.  She was a brilliant, vivacious, fun and life-loving lady who I was blessed to know.  Being so far away from friends and/or family at a time of loss is really difficult, it just feels so lonely.

But, I was encouraged by so many back in Wilmington; I realized again today that I am supposed to be here in Accra.  I love what I am doing here; working on a program that will help to eliminate neglected tropical diseases in a number of West African countries over several years.  A very close friend of mine sent the following words of encouragement that she had received from another, and they certainly helped me put things in perspective “God didn’t promise days without pain; laughter without sorrow; sun without rain.  But he did promise strength for the day; comfort for the tears; and light for the day.”  How true!!

So - onto more positive steps for enjoying my experience here in Ghana.  I still definitely don’t have the shopping worked out yet, BUT have found that they have the most delicious and sweet pineapples you could wish for, and that I really like mango J but am not so keen on papaya L

I also received some brilliant pictures of my dogs (the three ‘girls’ – dachshunds) who are clearly loving every minute of their time with their ‘foster parents’ which was so good to see.  Even Gretchen, who will be 14 in April was running around and looking like she was getting in everyone’s business.

This coming weekend is Independence Day so Monday 7th is a holiday – I will share my thoughts on that in my next blog!

More soon……

No comments:

Post a Comment